Pittsburg County Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc.
E-mail: choctawnationit@sbcglobal.net
 

48 Local Location Information/Histories

Related Site: Maps
Lake Eufaula Guide Map - Numbers in the Column: "Source of Name /Location" relate to this map

 

Source Of Name

/Location

Dates Of Post Office

Existed In Indian territory

i.e., Existed before 1907

1907 Census (Statehood)

GPS Location

Family Search

Wikipedia 2016

Oklahoma Historical Society

OSU Digital Archive

Civil War Time Frame

Other

Indian Territory

   
Yes
 
 
NA
URL
URL
URL
URL
Cornell
URL
Cornell

Choctaw Nation

   
Yes
Yes
 
URL
URL
URL
   
URL

Moshulatubbee District

   
Yes
 
 
NA
URL
NA
URL
Chronicles of Oklahoma
Volume 12, No. 4
December, 1934
A CHOCTAW LANDMARK
By A. D. HEFLEY
 
 

Tobucksy County

   
Yes
 
 
URL
NA
NA
URL
 
 

State of Oklahoma

     
Yes
 
URL
URL
URL
The whole site
See Indian Territory
Cornell

Pittsburg County, Oklahoma

     
Yes
 
URL
URL
URL
Map
URL
 
URL
URL2
           
 
         

Adamson, Oklahoma

 
TBD
 
 
 
NA
URL
NA
URL
 
URL

Alderson, Oklahoma

 
TBD
 
Yes
 
NA
URL
URL
URL
 
URL

Alta Vista, Oklahoma

         
 
NA
NA
   
URL

Arch, Oklahoma

 
TBD
 
 
 
 
NA
NA
URL
 
URL

Archibald, Oklahoma

 
TBD
     
 
NA
NA
     

Arrowhead Estates, Oklahoma

169 -
   
 
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Arrowhead Shores, Oklahoma

167 -
       
 
NA
NA
   
URL

Arrowhead State Park

         
 
URL
NA
     

Arpelar, Oklahoma

 
TBD
 
 
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Ashland, Oklahoma

 
TBD
 
 
 
 
URL
URL
URL
 
URL

Bache, Oklahoma

 
TBD
 
 
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Baker, Oklahoma

3 miles west of McAlester, OK
Small community, no longer in
Existence
       
 
NA
NA
     

Bald Mountains, Oklahoma

         
 
NA
NA
   
URL

Balwin Acres, Oklahoma

         
 
NA
NA
   
URL

Blanco, Oklahoma

10 miles northeast of Kiowa, OK
On Hwy 63. A mining town
Named for Ramon Blanco, Y
Erenas, Governor General of
Cuba, 1897-98
August 31, 1901 to date
Yes
 
 
 
URL
NA
 
 
URL

Blackburn's Station, Oklahoma

6 miles south of Blanco, OK
A stage stop on the Butter-
Field Overland Mail route
To California, 1858-61, Named
For Casper B. Blackburn, Local
Trader.
       
 
URL
NA
     

Blocker, Oklahoma

15 miles northeast of McAlester,
OK on Hwy 31. Named for Eads
Blocker, local coal dealer
April 26, 1905 to date
Yes
 
 
 
URL
NA
 
 
URL

Bond, Oklahoma

2 ½ Miles southwest of Craig
Along railroad. No longer in
Existence.
       
 
NA
NA
     

Bower, Oklahoma

     
Yes
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Brewerville, Oklahoma

2 miles south of Savanna, OK
A small mining community.
No longer in existence.
       
 
NA
NA
     

Buck, Oklahoma

2 miles east of Krebs, OK on
Hwy 270. A small mining September 31, 1907
Camp. Also known as Buck
Station. No longer in Existence
January 19, 1900 to
Yes
   
 
NA
NA
     

Buckluckay, Oklahoma

     
Yes
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Buffalo Station, Oklahoma

7 miles south of Haileyville,
OK. Established in 1867, an
Important stage stop on the
Post-Civil War mail routes
Crossing southeastern OK
       
 
NA
NA
     

Bugtussle, Oklahoma

9 miles northeast of McAlester
OK, often known as Flowery
Mound. The meaning is a
Colloquialism meaning a rustic
Settlement or backwoods area.
The boyhood home of Carl Albert
Speaker of the House of Represent-
Atives of the U.S. Congress.
   
 
 
URL
URL
URL
URL
 
URL

Busby, Oklahoma

1 mile east of North McAlester, OK
No longer in existence.
       
 
NA
NA
     

Bush, Oklahoma

Small mining community 1 mile
Northeast of Alderson. No longer
In existence.
       
 
NA
NA
     

Cabiness (Cabaniss), Oklahoma

15 miles northwest of Mcalester,
OK. Named for Thomas B.
Cabaniss, a member of the
Dawes Commission
April 18, 1903 to August 15, 1922
Yes
Yes
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Caldwell, Oklahoma

Small community along Railroad
Midway between Blanco and
Bond. No Longer in existence.
       
 
NA
NA
     

Canadian, Oklahoma

10 miles southwest of Eufaula, Ok
On Hwy 69. Nearby was Canadian
Depot, and important supply point
During the Civil War. Formly
South Canadian-changed Dec. 11, 1899.
Current
 
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Canadian Shores, Oklahoma

177 -
   
 
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Carbon, Oklahoma

7 miles east of McAlester, OK
Formerly known as Cherry- vale. Railroad name was
Simpson Station. It took its
Name from surrounding
Coal fields.
February 20, 1899 to November 30, 1933
Yes
   
 
NA
NA
     

Carlton Landing, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
URL
NA
 
 
URL

Celestine, Oklahoma

5 miles northeast of Ashland, OK
November 12, 1896 to
March 31, 1915
Yes
 
 
 
NA
NA
URL
 
URL

Chambers, Oklahoma

5 miles south of McAlester, OK
On Hwy 69. Located at the site
Of Perryville, and important
Settlement prior to the Civil
War. It was named for T. H.
Chambers, Coal mine operator.
January 26, 1904 to November 15, 1910
Yes
   
 
NA
NA
     

Cherryvale, Oklahoma

7 miles east of McAlester, OK
See Carbon
       
 
NA
NA
     

Choate Prairie, Oklahoma

(Choate)

3 miles west of Indianola, OK
Named for George W. Choate,
Sheriff of Tobucksy County,
Choctaw nation.
November 6, 1894 to May 31, 1904
Yes
 
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Coleman, Oklahoma

3 miles west of Haileyville, OK
Changed to Craig. Town first
Named for H. L. Coleman,
Townsite owner.
April 2, 1903 to December 7, 1905
Yes
   
 
NA
NA
     

Counts, Oklahoma

11 ½ miles south of Hartshorne,
OK. A mining camp. No longer
In existence.
   
 
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Craig, Oklahoma

3 miles west of Hartshorne, OK
Named for William Craig. Local
Rancher. See Coleman.
December 7, 1905 to March 31, 1919
Yes
   
 
NA
NA
     

Crowder, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Darcia, Oklahoma

6 miles northwest of McAlester,
OK. Named for John Darcia of
Chicago, Ill Rancher
February 5, 1907 to November 28, 1909
Yes
   
 
NA
NA
     

Daisy, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Dow, Oklahoma

11 miles southeast of McAlester,
OK on Hwy 270. Named for
Andrew Dow, coal Producer.
December 7, 1898 to February 28, 1964
Yes
Yes
 
 
NA
NA
 
 
URL

Dwight, Oklahoma

3 miles northeast of Hartshorne,
OK on Hwy 270, and located at
Jones Academy. Named for
Simon T. Dwight, prominent
Choctaw.
October 4, 1895 to February 28, 1913
Yes
   
 
NA
NA
     

Edwards, Oklahoma

3 miles east of Kiowa, OK.
On Hwy 63. Presently known
As Pittsburg. Formerly Cowper.
Named for J. R. Edwards, coal
Operator.
September 3, 1903 name Changed to Pittsburg August 27, 1909 to date
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Featherston, Oklahoma

7 miles west of Quinton, Ok
On Hwy 31. Named for Lucius
C. Featherston, early-day rancher.
June 23, 1892 to November 29, 1957
Yes
 
 
 
NA
 
 
 
URL

Flowery Mound, Oklahoma

9 miles northeast of McAlester, OK
See Bugtussle.
       
 
NA
       

Garner, Oklahoma

5 miles west of Indianola, OK.
Formerly Thurman changed
To Garner. Named for Edward
L. Garner, first postmaster
July 1, 1902 to November 30, 1906
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Givins, Oklahoma

Mining community between
Krebs & Buck
       
 
NA
       

Haileyville, Oklahoma

14 miles southeast of McAlester,
OK on Hwy 270. Named for
Dr. Daniel M. Hailey, prominent
Resident of the Choctaw Nation
April 20, 1901 to date
Yes
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Halleman, Oklahoma

10 miles south of McAlester, OK
No longer in existence.
July 13, 1898 to March 31, 1904
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Hartshorne, Oklahoma

15 miles southeast of McAlester,
OK on Hwy 270. Named for
Dr. Charles Hartshorne, railroad
Official.
March 5, 1890 to date
Yes
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Hay Ranch, Oklahoma

1 ½ mile northeast of Pittsburg, OK
A small community, no longer in
Existence.
 
     
 
NA
       

Haywood, Oklahoma

11 miles southwest of McAlester,
OK On Hwy 31. The railroad
Name was Barnett. Named for
Bill Haywood, prominent Socialist.
September 20, 1904 to date
Yes
 
 
 
URL
 
 
 
URL

Heron, Oklahoma

In northern Pittsburg County,
Adjoining the Canadian River.
Named for the heron species
Of bird. No longer in existence.
January 15, 1910 to September 30, 1910
   
 
 
NA
       

Hickman, Oklahoma

6 miles northeast of Stuart, OK.
Named for Eugene A. Hickman,
First postmaster. No longer in
Existence.
May 22, 1914 to November 30, 1914
   
 
 
NA
       

Holiday Hills, Oklahoma

174 -
       
 
NA
       

Indianola, Oklahoma

7 miles west of Canadian, OK
On Hwy 113. The name was
coined from the word Indian
and the Choctaw word Olah
meaning "this side of".
January 16, 1891 to date
Yes
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Johnsville, Oklahoma

1 mile southwest of Savanna, OK
A small town no longer in
Existence.
       
 
NA
       

Jones Academy, Oklahoma

3 miles northeast of Hartshorne,
OK on Hwy 270. An Indian boys
School established in 1891 by the
Choctaw Nation. Named for
Wilson N. Jones, principal chief
Of the Choctaw Nation. Post Office
Was named Dwight.
       
 
NA
       

Juanita, Oklahoma

15 miles north of McAlester, OK.
Named for Juanita Harlan Crowder
Wife of Dr. W. E. Crowder early day
Physician. Named changed to
Crowder, June 4, 1904.
March 21, 1902 to date
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Kiowa, Oklahoma

17 miles south of McAlester, OK
On Hwy 69. Named for nearby
Kiowa Hill.
May 6, 1881 to date
Yes
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Klondyke, Oklahoma

Mining community 1 mile north-
West of Alderson.
       
 
NA
       

Krebs, Oklahoma

3 miles east of McAlester, OK on
Hwy 270/31. A mining town
Named for Judge Edmond F. Krebs,
Prominent Choctaw.
February 10, 1886 to date
Yes
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Lake Eufaula Estates, Oklahoma

168 -
       
 
NA
       

Lodge Point North, Oklahoma

144
       
 
NA
       

Lodge Point South, Oklahoma

146
       
 
NA
       

Longtown, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
URL
 
 
 
URL

Massey, Oklahoma

6 miles southeast of Crowder,
Named for W. W. Massey
Prominent Choctaw.
August 17, 1900 to May 31, 1918
Yes
   
 
NA
       

McAlester, Oklahoma

County seat of Pittsburg. Formerly South McAlester. Named for John J. McAlester Prominent merchant and Coal producer.
February 5, 1890, name Changed from South McAlester May 10, 1907. First post office located 2 miles south of town site.
Spelling of name was
"McAlister" from March 31,
1873 to November 12, 1885.
Yes
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

McBees, Oklahoma

Mine community 2 miles
Northwest of Alderson, OK.
       
 
NA
       

Manning, Oklahoma

Mine community 1 ½ miles
East of Adamson.
       
 
NA
       

North McAlester, Oklahoma

Current location of McAlester; Name changed to distinguish Town from South McAlester 2 miles south on railroad.
Name changed from earlier spelling, "McAlister" on May 11, 1907; discontinued, June 30, 1909.
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Perryville, Oklahoma

5 miles southwest of McAlester,
OK on Hwy 69. Important
Settlement in the Choctaw
Nation prior to the Civil War and
A site of Civil War engagement,
August 26, 1863. Named for James
Perry, a prominent early day settler.
County Seat for Tobucksy County, Moshulatubbee District, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
 
Yes
   
 
URL
URL
URL
URL
Cornell
Cornell

Pittsburg, Oklahoma

3 miles east of Kiowa, OK on Hwy 63. Named from Pittsburg County.
Formerly Edwards, name Changed August 27, 1909 to Date.
Yes
 
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Pocahontas, Oklahoma

North of Dow, Ok A Community
Named for nearby Pocahontas
Mine.
       
 
NA
       

Pulcher, Oklahoma

In eastern Pittsburg County Near Hartshorne, Ok. The name Is the Latin word for beautiful.
No longer in existence.
August 20, 1913 to July 10, 1915
     
 
NA
       

Quinton, Oklahoma

30 miles northeast of McAlester,
OK on Hwy 31. Named for
Martha E. Quinton a prominent
Local Choctaw.
March 28, 1902 to date
Yes
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Rasor, Oklahoma

In Pittsburg County adjoining
McAlester. Named for
Stephen M. Rasor the first
Postmaster. No longer in
Existence.
September 23, 1897 to November 2, 1898
Yes
 
 
 
NA
       

Reams, Oklahoma

9 miles northeast of McAlester,
Ok. Named for Robert L. Reams
A prominent local resident and
Nephew of Vinnie Ream Hoxie
The sculptress whose studio was
In the National Capitol.
March 6, 1901 to December 31, 1915
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Redden, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
NA
   
 
URL

Richville, Oklahoma

A small mining community 1 mile
Northwest of Carbon.
   
 
 
 
NA
 
 
 
URL

Rockpin, Oklahoma

5 miles northeast of Crowder, OK.
Intended to be named Rockpen
The name was from a stock pen
Made of natural rock bluffs and
Closed on the open side was a
Rock Wall.
May 15, 1909 to August 31, 1914
     
 
NA
       

Rock Creek Cove, Oklahoma

170 - Canadian subdivision developed on Lake Eufaula 1965
       
 
NA
       

Rock Creek Cove Estates, Oklahoma

171 - Canadian subdivision developed on Lake Eufaula 1965
       
 
NA
      URL

Rock Creek Cove Heights, Oklahoma

172 - Canadian subdivision developed on Lake Eufaula 1965
Uses Canadian Post office
     
 
NA
      URL

Russelville, Oklahoma

4 miles northwest of Quinton.
Named for I. N. Russell a local
Merchant.
June 19, 1890 to December 30, 1933
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Sams Point, Oklahoma

176 -
   
 
 
 
NA
 
 
 
 

Savanna, Oklahoma

10 miles southwest of McAlester,
Ok on Hwy 69. Named after the
Private railroad car of general
Manger of the KATY Railroad.
May 5, 1876 to date
Yes
Yes
34°50'0?N 95°50'20?W (34.833229, -95.838768)
 
URL
URL
 
 
URL

Scipio, Oklahoma

12 miles northwest of McAlester,
OK. Scipio was a son of a Choate
Slave who ran a cattle Camp-
Scipio Creek named for him.
Source Ben Choate.
January 24, 1890 to date
Yes
 
 
 
NA
 
 
 
 

Simpson, Oklahoma

8 miles northeast of McAlester,
OK. Named for John Simpson a
Rancher and cattleman.
August 22, 1894 to February 15, 1900
Yes
   
 
NA
       

South Canadian, Oklahoma

10 miles southwest of Eufaula, OK
On Hwy 69. Took its name from
Nearby South Fork of the Canadian
River. Now known as Gains Creek.
Changed name to Canadian
December 11, 1899.
May 29, 1873 to date
Yes
   
 
NA
       

South McAlester, Oklahoma

Now within the McAlester City
Limits; name was to distinguish
Town from North McAlester. 2
Miles further north.
February 5, 1890 to May 10, 1907; now McAlester
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Springs, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
NA
 
 
 
URL

Stuart, Oklahoma

     
 
34.900839, -96.100035
 
URL
 
 
 
URL

Sulphur, Oklahoma

5 miles southwest of Hartshorne.
Mining camp. No longer in
Existence.
       
 
NA
       

Tannehill, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
NA
   
 
URL

Thurman, Oklahoma

5 miles southwest of
Indianola. Named for
Samuel Thurman, a local
Merchant.
May 20, 1888; Name changed to Garner July 1, 1902
Yes
   
 
NA
       

TI, Oklahoma

11 miles southwest of Haileyville, OK. The name
Was coined from the
Initials of Indian Territory
Spelled backwards.
March 6, 1896 to November 30, 1953
Yes
 
 
URL
URL
 
 
 
URL

Toboxky, Oklahoma

10 miles north of McAlester,
Ok. An important settlement
Prior to the Civil War. Another
Post Office was in operation at
This site and named Toboxy.
The name is an adaptation of the
Choctaw word for coal and comes
From the name of nearby Coal
Creek.
September 18, 1857 to May 8, 1871
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Ulan, Oklahoma

14 miles northwest of McAlester,
OK. Named for Ulan Jones, the
Son of Joe Jones a local ranch
Foreman.
July 3, 1917 to November 30, 1953
 
 
35.120276 -95.884774
 
URL
 
 
 
 

Ungles, Oklahoma

In central Pittsburg County. Named for Wolford Ungles
A rancher and cattleman.
August 21, 1897 to March 3, 1898
Yes
   
 
NA
       

Ward, Oklahoma

     
 
 
 
NA
 
 
 
URL

Wardsprings, Oklahoma

In Western Pittsburg County, Several miles east of Stuart.
Named for Sam Ward a long
Time resident
July 10, 1914 to April 15, 1920
     
 
NA
       

Weathers, Oklahoma

12 miles south of Hartshorne.
Named for John L. Weathers,
First postmaster.
May 14, 1914 to August 31, 1944
 
 
 
 
NA
 
 
 
URL

White Ash, Oklahoma

Small mining community
Northern edge of North McAlester
 
 
 
 
 
NA
       

Windsor Shore Estates, Oklahoma

173 -
       
 
NA
       
       
 
 
 
 
       
The society exist on the dues of its members, sales of its publications, and donations.
Last Update: November 20, 2016 5:06 PM
Copyrightę 2014 by Pittsburg County Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc. - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
113 East Carl Albert Parkway; McAlester, Oklahoma 74501-5039; Phone: 918-426-0388